Easy Cornbread Chili Pie
- 1 Box The Invisible Chef Cornbread Mix (1 cup milk, ¾ cup creamed style corn, ¼ cup oil, 1 egg)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 can (14.5 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, chopped, juices reserved
- 1 can (15.5 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
Prepare the filling:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat oil in a large ovenproof saute pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots and garlic and season with salt as needed. Cook, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder and tomato paste, cook, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Stir in beef and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a spoon, until no longer red, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes with their juices and beans. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Prepare the Topping:
- Prepare cornbread as directed on the package. Spoon mixture over top of filling, spreading almost to the edges of the pan.
- Transfer to oven and bake about 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in topping comes out clean. Let rest for about 20 minutes for before serving.